Tourist visas

Tourists from most countries are given a  90-day visa on arrival, although check to make sure at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website. Unfortunately, due to charges applied to Chileans in their home countries, Australians (US$95), Canadians (US$132), Mexicans (US$23), and Americans (US$140) who arrive at Santiago´s airport are subject to a reciprocal tax on arrival, although you can re-enter for free as many times as you like within a year. Make sure your passport has at least 6 months validity, otherwise you will be refused entry.

Tourists can apply for a 90-day Visa extension. To apply go to the "Departamento de extranjería y Migración" located at 580 San Antonio St. in Santiago or the "Gobernaciones Provinciales" located across the country . Please note that you will be fined if you do not apply in time for your Visa extension.

Don’t lose the stamped copy of the arrival card from immigration as you have to show it on departure! Whilst travelling throughout Chile, your stamped passport is good enough to get by any police/bus/hotel or other check. Don’t be phased by this, as it is still part of the national culture to ask for identification documents.

It is easy to fall in love with Chile, and the good news is that you do not have to leave the country in order to receive longer-term visas. See our expat section for more information on working and staying in Chile…