My Guide Website?
Pucon: Full-Day Villarrica Volcano Climb79 Reviews
Climb the imposing Villarrica Volcano, the most active in South America. Be amazed at the summit and see the geological formation of the crater with its constant activity.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Chile:If youʻre booking your trip to Chile last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- San Pedro de Atacama: Hidden Lagoons of Baltinache Tour
- Santiago: Valparaiso, Viña del Mar, & Casablanca Valley Tour
- Punta Arenas: Walk with Penguins on Magdalena & Marta Island
- San Pedro de Atacama: Traditional Ethnoastronomy Experience
- Puerto Montt: Osorno Volcano and Petrohué Falls Guided Tour
- Climb an iconic volcano of southern Chile that's part of the Pacific Ring of Fire
- Embark on this challenging mountain trek and be impressed with yourself at the top
- Enjoy your experience using first-class mountain equipment mountain
DescriptionMeet with the local partner the day before your climb for an equipment check-up and brief explanation of the hike. The next day drive 30 minutes from the center of Pucon to the base of Villarrica Volcano. From here begin the hike to the summit of one of Chile's iconic active volcanoes. The first stage will be a traditional hiking ascent, starting at 1,200 meters above sea level. Acclimatize at an easy pace. As you approach the summit glacier, start using crampons and ice axes, with the assistance and explanation from the guides. After five to six hours of climbing, reach 2,847 meters at the summit. Gaze at the middle of the crater and its impressive geological formation. See fumaroles and maybe even some lava. From here also enjoy 360-degree views of surrounding volcanos, lagoons, and forests. Spend approximately half an hour at the summit and then descend in half the time it took to climb up. Combine walking and controlled snow sliding to get down. During your hike have conversations about the native peoples of the Andes, the mountains and their relationship with them, as well as topics in volcanology. Once you've reached the base, your vehicle will be waiting to return you back to the departure office in Pucon.
IncludesTransportation from and to the office in the center of town Entrance fee to Villarrica National Park Mountain equipment (mountain boots, poles, crampons, ice axe, helmet, backpack, trousers, jacket, gloves, and gaiters) 1 certified guide every 3 participants
- The program is subject to weather conditions of the day
- There is daily monitoring of the volcano in terms of its seismicity
- The ascent of this volcano does not require previous experience, only minimum physical condition
- Meet at the office for equipment check-ups and brief explanations the day before
- Consume pasta (carbohydrates) ideally the night before
- Be well hydrated the day before, ideally not drinking alcohol the night before