Chile fun facts
Did you know that in Chile ...
- there are almost 900 moai (statues) on Easter Island (Rapa Nui),
- you can swim in the world's biggest pool at Algarrobo, near Valparaiso,
- you can find the oldest mummified remains of the Chinchorro preople near Arica?
Now for some more formal facts about Chile !
- Official Name|Republic of Chile**
- Motto|By reason or by force**
- Capital (and largest city)|Santiago**
- Population|17.2 million (2011 estimate)**
- Government|Unitary presidential republic**
- President|Sebastian Piñera (assumed March 2010)**
- Independence (from Spain)|February 10, 1818 (declared)**
- Currency|Peso (CLP)**
- Drive on|Right**
- Time zone|GMT -4 to -6**
- Calling code|+56**
- Life expectancy|78 years**
- Borders|Peru, Bolivia, Argentina**
- Highest mountain (and highest volcano in the world)|Ojos del Salado 6,891m (22,608ft)**
- Longest river|Loa (440km)